Monday, April 21, 2008

Books

Over the past couple of months I have been on a reading kick. I LOVE to read and since everyone has school I figure this is my education, I know I need to read slighly more educating books for that to really work in my benefit but I don't love non-fiction. You should also know that as much as I cry in movies, which you know is a good amount, I cry 10 times as much when reading books and usually not just a tear here and there but really messy, kleenex all over, can hardly breath crying. My poor roommate came to ask me a question a few weeks ago and I was in the middle of a particularly messy crying moment and she was a little worried, all she said was "sad book?" Here are my most recent reads...




Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close--My friend and fellow reader, Jodi, lent me this book. I really liked it, it was a little different but most wonderful books are. I plan to read Everything is Illuminated also by this author.













Water for Elephants--I enjoyed reading this book but I don't think I liked it as much as everyone else seemes to. It was a good read though. Also lent to me by Jodi (I think)













Amsterdam--I didn't really like this book, it was good enough to finish but only barely for me. I prefer more character interaction and for me it was a vary blah ending. I read this becuase I wanted to read Atonement by him and it wasn't available. I now have Atonetment and I don't know that I want to read it because I have heard it is similiar.












Flowers for Algernon--I liked this book. It was a little difficult for me becuase I was constantly moving between love, admiration, heartfelt concern and annoyance, anger, frustration for the main character. I think I was supposed to feel that way but it was a little much at times.














The Memory Keeper's Daughter--I liked this book. It was frustrating becuase it seemed so much easier to just be honest than to continue keeping a HUGE secret. It was interesting to see how one decision can literally change the rest of your life.














The Secret Life of Bees--I really liked this book. I loved the characters in this book, especially May. I think I have a little May in me and I need a whaling wall. I also loved Rosaleen and May's relationship. I would recomend this book.










The Handmaid and the Carpenter--I thought this was a really interesting book. I didn't realize what it was about until I started reading. It is the Mary/Joseph story from their perspective and a different look at their emotions. I liked it but I don't know if others will becuase I just took it as fiction, just an interesting perspective but others might take it a little too seriously.












Deception Point--I liked this book and I think all of Dan Brown's books are good reads but it isn't Da Vinci Code and definitely not Angels and Demons for sure, but I did like it better than Digital Fortress. Similar to his other books as far as characters and plot goes.













A Thousand Splendid Suns--I liked this book but I didn't think it was as good as Kite Runner. This author doesn't tip toe around the difficult topics though and after words I always feel like I need to read something light.














We are all Welcome Here--I enjoyed this book but it wasn't overly deep and it was a really quick read.











The Secret Life of a Wallflower--I finished this book last night and I lreally liked it. It is written as letters from a teenager to someone but we don't know who. I cried hard at points. The main character is lovable but a little different in that I wondered a couple of times if he had very slight mental disability and for sure some social ones. I was thinking autism but could just be that odd kid you went to school with.


I enjoyed the majority of these books but I didn't feel overly impacted by them. I am really craving that book that I just love!! I think I might venture to read one of the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe books or possibly one of Jane Austen's books neither of which I have ever ventured to read. If any of you have suggestions let me know.

5 comments:

Lauren Jayne said...

Okay I read Atonement over night when I was staying at a friends house and found myself disinterested in sleeping....anyway, good book but VERY sad! PS I want to start a book club when I get back this summer, you should be in it!

Jodi said...

I've read 6 of those! Go me. I think you borrowed a fair ammount from me too. If you want to borrow The Other Boleyn Girl just let me know. I haven't read it yet because of text book guilt.

Marie said...

I think you will like Everything is Illuminated. The movie isn't bad either, if you want to check it out, but as is usually the case, the book is better. I think you should read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Pride and Prejudice. I have both if you want to borrow them. I also think you (and everyone) should read The Poisonwood Bible. I have quite an extensive list of favorite books that I love to recommend, if you're interested :)

Heather Davis said...

hilary!! wow you are seriously such a great inspiration to me. i wish i read more books, it's so hard for me to get into them, but thanks for your reviews. i will definitely give some of those a try.

Jodi said...

Marie has good taste. This is no surprise.

You can blog again. I won't be offended at all.